The Retention Certificate (V778) is only issued when the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) has expired. The original purchaser of the registration is the only party that can make an application for the extension.

The DVLA will issue the document and the original purchaser will the provide the renewed private registration to the nominee.

If you forget to extend or renew your Retention Certificate (V778), it is important that you do so ASAP. The DVLA has the right to revoke and void any registration certificate that has lapsed. This rarely happens, although we suggest you don’t risk it as there is no form of reimbursement or compensation. Many people have the misconception that they can avoid paying the extension fee and only pay it once when they are ready to assign the registration mark onto a vehicle. This not true. The DVLA will backdate the fees to the date of expiry.

It is the nominee’s responsibility to keep the certificate valid. Customers of The Private Plate Company will receive a complimentary renewal reminder within a month of the expiry date.

Retention Certificate Application Form (V713)

If you would like to retain your private registration for a further 12 months, fill out Section 3 on your Certificate of Entitlement (V750) and send it to the original purchaser, remember to include the appropriate fees otherwise it will delay processing.

However, if you own a personalised registration that is currently assigned to a vehicle and would like to put it on retention, you will need to compete the Retention Certificate Application Form (V713). People like to keep their registrations when they sell their vehicles, this is the correct and legal way to do ensure your private plate remains yours. The application fee is £105, and will allow you to keep your registration on a certificate for 12 months.

Click here to download the Retention Certificate Application Form (V317)

This entry was posted in General Information, Helpful Tips and Hints, News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.